Sunday, April 08, 2007

Survival of the Fittest!

There will probably be more pictures of Easter later, but I thought I would get some of these up quick for everyone to see. We had a ball watching Jack Jack get so giddy finding all of "his treats". On Saturday we went to huge Easter egg ________. Hmmm, not sure what word to use there. Most would say hunt, but maybe scarmble, or scrum would be a better word. There we were at Mountain View High School, battling for spots around the field with every other parent who brought their kid along for admission. As the 9 o' clock hour approached, position was crucial. Many people adopted the stroller technique, trying to box out others from their claimed territory. Jenny and I did the "we normally take up this much room to stand together and keep talking and don't make eye contact with newcomers" approach. It worked well. We had a good 15 minutes to coach Jackson before the whistle blew. This was important considering the rule: Parents may not touch the candy or eggs. We were in the toddler group (0-3) and started out snickering at the parents who were trying to teach their kids how to run and pick up eggs quick, but soon started to sweat a little wondering if the lady next to me had her eye on the same eggs that I did. Do I go to the left or to the right first. I wonder what they have in them. This was intense. Only the strong will survive. We started to notice some kids who seemed to be over 3. That's not fair! They will run faster! They have better eye/hand coordination! Make them battle with the older kids in the stadium! This is our turf! Wait a minute...Listen to me. This is ridiculous. It's an Easter egg hunt. A celebration of a Christian holiday. Is it worth losing my cool over? I could go to Target down the street and buy as much candy as I want for a couple of bucks and it will be better than this cheap taffy junk they have melting in the morning sun and covered in dew (you know the kind). But then we wouldn't have the satisfaction of winning. Forget your values, don't lose your pride...The whistle blows!
Don't worry...no black eyes. No elbows thrown... and we actually faired ok. I...I mean Jackson...got some great treats, coupons, eggs, had fun, and we even won some of the "big prizes" because we got a number in our egg. A success. We are definately doing it next year!

No comments: