Thursday, May 24, 2007

School's Out for Summer...

Well, this is a good group of people I work with...I will miss them terribly when I move on to Provo High School starting next week. I went and visited Provo High and dropped off some of my things. It will be good, and I am excited to start something new. The teachers I met were awesome, and it is always cool to have a fresh start somewhere. AND I will still see these teachers my whole career because there are not that many teachers in CES, but it is hard to not spend all day with them. I wrote a letter to a student I taught who is on a mission in South Africa right now and told him I was leaving and told him he could relate because a move in CES feels a lot like a mission transfer to me in a wierd sort of way. So, hoody hoo.


I took some pictures of the walls in my classroom so ya'll could see what they looked like and so I could remember what I did 4 years from now AND it took me forever to make everything so I wanted to somehow document all that hard work and celebrate how good I thought it looked :)





This was my favorite wall-- doesn't that map look cool. I made the whole thing from scratch. Impressed? I love that line from the Doctrine and Covenants, Shall We not go on in so great a cause?! It is inspiring to me. One of the teachers told me he would pay me 100 bucks to make it for him exactly like that 4 years from now. I said 300.




That phrase "I have learned for myself" from the Joseph Smith History kind of became a theme for my class this year. I even made that frame of the First Vision in Jenny's Dad's frame shop.


On this wall I had all the latter-day prophets with their signatures under each of their pictures. We spent the last week and a half doing a rotation at seminary talking a little about each of their lives. I learned a lot about them and have some GOOD stories...One story I told was actually told by the new Relief Society counselor at Women's Conference (this comes from our friend Holly who went and heard this from her) As she met with President Faust, overwhelmed with her new call, she began to weep. He wept with her and grabbed her hands and said, "We are all just ordinary people doing the Lord's work. I will pray for you if you will pray for me." Awesome, huh? They are ordinary men and women, but they are great because they follow the example and commandments of the Master.


Aloha Springville...Aloha Provo.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

David...Provo is sooooo lucky to have you to teach them! I wish I was a Bulldog (That sounds weird). Good luck!
Jenny... it was fun getting together with you the other day. Let's do it again soon! Oh, and Clay said he can get Seven Peaks passes for $40 if you're still intrested! It would be dang fun to go together (except for the fact that I would look flabby next to your toned bod)
See ya Sunday!

FOREVER 8 AND MORE... said...

David I can only imagine how difficult it is to make a change and leave your first assignment. How blessed you were to start off where you did but just like a mission, I know you and your family will be blessed by your next step. Its easier said than done, we all know that but one thing I'm sure of and that is Provo High is very blessed to have you as one of their teachers! Jenny, I know he doesn't do this alone so congratualations for a successful and rewarding 2 years!
P.S. David, what are ya'll doing in the top picture. I know it must have a story!

The Boyles said...

David... Nice blog, bro. I agree that Provo is blessed to have you come here. Oh, yeah, remember to print out your blog for your posterity because computers are on their way out! Paper is coming back baby!
Welcome to Provo!
- Bro. Boyle