Tuesday, October 23, 2007

we will fight day or night, rain or snow

whoever wrote the cougar fight song wrote it before they had children. Last year I took Jackson to a BYU game. Afterwards I vowed to never take a baby/toddler to a game again. It was miserable. We were crammed, students were trying to push us out, it was cold, Jackson went poo and I didn't have a diaper, he wouldn't stand on the bleacher so I had to hold him (So then my arm smelt like poo). So...this year I don't know what came over me, but I agreed to take Jackson and Christian to the BYU game on Saturday (with Jenny of course--and Jessie's baby Emme- but she was an angel). We were lucky to get tickets from Jenny's fam (BIG THANKS! really!) We couldn't go until half time because I took the 3 hour long GRE test (that should be a post in and of itself--don't get me started). Right when we entered the stadium it started to downpour. It was soaking everyone and it was cold rain that quickly went to slush then snow real quick. We were going back and forth on whether to go in, and then thought it best not to when Christian started freaking out because of the cold. This was only the beginning. What we thought was a let up in the storm turned out to be a calm before the blizzard. By the time it was really coming, we were at the beginning of our mile long trek back to the car. (This is not an exageration, we parked far away). I started to run and the snow and hail and whatever was pelting the boys. Both of them were screaming. I wish I had a word for one or two steps above screaming, because that is what it was. Blood curdling. People thought I was stabbing them. My hands were frozen to the stroller handle, I was soaking wet, I felt like a horrible parent because I thought the boys were in hypothermia, I was getting stuck in the gravel and mud, by the time we got to the car they seriously looked like little snowmen- covered in snow- then they were crying so hard they started vomiting when I put them in the car and the car was covered with snow with no scraper because I didn't think we would get half a foot in OCTOBER!!! I have said this before and now I say it with assurance. I could not have made the handcart trek west. I would have laid down in Iowa and just died. Just bury me here. There is not enough mention of the children in these stories. I have never read about children just screaming from cold. I shiver at the thought.



This is long, but I think some frustration was still bottled up in me. It feels good to get it out. So yes Mr. Cougar Fight Song Dude I will fight...in the day...with a babysitter...when it is sunny...
tickets to Hawaii are $303. US Airways. One way.

10 comments:

Andy said...

Dave,

I think that is the best blog I have ever read. It had me almost in tears ... and the last time I had that many tears is when we moved to Idaho! Once your grad school starts, you might as well say goodbye to the opportunity to go to games and other fun stuff for a while. Grad school is not a walk in the park. Now you at least have some pioneer experience to tell your students next time you teach D&C!!

Andy said...

Kids here will do anything to get out of high school. I wasn't complaining. It made for a shorter week! Next time I'll tell my students to spread out the threats into different weeks and not on back to back days.

Bertie said...

David!

You crack me up! LOVED the story!! What kind of stories would we have to tell with out kids?? I mean really?? And what kind of stories will our kids have to tell- if we don't take them to freezing, rainy, snowy football games:)

Suz (and sometimes Jeff) said...

That was a great story! What about this test you took? I didn't know about that, I would have wished you luck, prayed for you, or something.

Emma and John said...

hahaha- just picturing you...poor boys! What an adventure. I agree, games in the snow aren't that fun, especially with kids, I'm sure. But I love 'em on sunny days.

josh and jacqs said...

I could just picture it now!! I didn't know you took your test already! We would of brought you some ice cream or something for good luck!! I'm sure you did great but i wish i would have known

Chris and Jen said...

Lots of laughs from the Barlow house! I hate to see the kids have to go through an experience like that but they make for such great stories. Especially when David tells them. Could I pay you to rewrite my stories?

Christy and Brian said...

Oh I haven't laughed that hard when no one is around in a long time. That was classic.

Aaron and Jessie said...

Amen, amen to that! Seriously, I wanted to blog about that whole experience cause it sure was somethin but your blog says it all. Although, I think you guys did have it worse since you trecked all the way there with 3 children, including my baby (so nice of ya'll) without even being able to sit and enjoy any of the game then to treck all the back in that out of control snow storm. I had the exact thought about the pioneers, I know I couldn't do it especially with children. All I could think about was poor Kamaile who was soaked to the bone. I've never before heard her say "I'm freezing" I didn't even know she knew that word. Anyways I have even a greater respect now for the pioneers and especially those with children. Crazy times!

FOREVER 8 AND MORE... said...

Your description of everything was so funny! I was laughing so hard and could envision the whole episode. I can't believe it actually looked like that a few days before I came and I'm so glad the weather gave me a break while I was visiting!!!