Sunday, July 01, 2007

Busy Week

(There is a good Sunday song on for today!)
.
I was talking with Chris last night (we left one of our cars there on the way up to Brian and Christy's event) and she was telling me how so many things landed on one day. Jenny and I have been talking about that all week. We don't ever hardly have anything going on, but if there is something, there are always 3 things to do on the same day? Can y'all relate?

Well, here is a week update:

I had an Apprentice Seminar this week up at the U's Institute in Salt Lake. It is something you go to after your first full year of teaching full time. We had some pretty long days up there, and there were moments when I was tired of sitting for so long, but I loved going! I learned a lot of things I needed to learn and had some wonderful experiences up there. I feel like I came back a better person.

One of our activities up there was hiking Big Mountain.

This was Brigham Young and others' first view of the Salt Lake Valley. Big Mountain is the first spot where the Saints would have seen their new home. We hiked the last five miles of their journey to the top of this mountain to see what they would have seen and considered what it would have been like. It was beautiful. There is a lot more green than there would have been back then, but I can't imagine what it would have been like to see the valley after such a long journey with so much trial, loss and heartache. They made it! It was particularly special to hike on June 27th, the anniversary of the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. We started the hike about the same time he was killed at Carthage. It was hard (and uphill) but I'm so glad we did it. It was a good moment for me.

Jenny spent most nights this week (and weeks previous) getting her frames and clips ready for her boutique this Saturday. I thought it was amazing! She did so much work and had the best things at the boutique. She has a talent for this kind of thing. The girls across the way talked to her about doing another one, because they said this particular boutique was the slowest they've ever been to. I think she should, because she did pretty good considering the conditions. Thanks for all who came and wanted to come!


We made a business card and Jenny opened an online store on a Web site named Etsy. We also started another blog. It is awork in progress, but wanted to get something up before the boutique. Give us some feedback. Polkadotsandpaisleys


Lastly-- we have no pictures of Christy and Brian's "Pay it Forward" event they put on last night. But I am sure there will be information about it on their blog. Jenny and I thought it was HUGE success. We were so happy to have been there and helped in such an amazing cause. We are happy for you guys that it went so well! A quick overview for those who have no idea what I'm talking about: My sister and bro have a friend who had an accident on a longboard and broke her neck, or spine or something and is now paralyzed. They pulled together a community event to raise money for their family. They had bounce houses and rock walls a big live auction (with such items as: a cruise, a hot tub-what what, autographed balls and jerseys, tickets, gift certificates, a coke machine--all of it donated!!) It was a touching and fun and exciting night!


One of my favorite moments:

This is not the exact design, but a little girl won a BYU shirt in the raffle and came up later and said she would rather have it auctioned off to raise more money for the lady than keep it for herself. So it was and the shirt went for $350 in a fun last minute auction. The family who won it gave it back to the little girl, who came up and re-donated it for another auction. For the second time it went to someone new for $350. I saw the second guy counting all the money in his wallet and her purse to scrounge up the $350. I thought it was an amazing display of charity and goodness in that community. It sums up what went on all night and for months before it.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Jenny,
David is so right on! Not only was your stuff the best at the boutique but it was the best displayed!!!!!!!! I'm proud to know you my friend!