Sunday, January 06, 2008

one day you'll be wishing...

Jessie made a comment on our last post about not posting yet about our adventures today. I was planning on it.

Jessie spent the night last night and we all went to stake conference together today. So it was me, Jenny, Jessie, Jackson, Kamaile, Christian and Emmy in the back of the chapel for two hours. Getting ready was crazy with Maile jumping, diving or falling from the top of the toilet into the filled tub 10 minutes before we had to leave (this is after a half hour of Jessie preventing Kamaile from being splashed on..."Don't get wet Kamaile!"). classic. That was the beginning, and you can imagine what the meeting was like. It wasn't bad--I think Jack only had one minor meltdown. Pretty good for two hours on the cold metal church chairs.

After the meeting (before we walked out in the blizzard), Jenny turned to this older woman sitting by herself next to us to apologize for the boys being so crazy. She smile back and said she thought the were adorable and wanted to hold Christian the whole time, but thought it would probably make him cry. Then she said something neat to Jenny: "Hold on to these years. One day you'll find yourself coming to church all by yourself, and one day you'll be wishing for these days all over again. I miss them." It was a neat moment to stop and reflect before we had to buckle our kids in their car seats while snow piled on top of us. :)

Do you guys remember this church commercial?

It has always been one of my favorites. Tonight, Jack came out of bed about 20 minutes after I put him down and asked if I could come in and read him a story. Immediately, I thought of this ad and so I tried it out and said, "Ask your Mom." Sure enough: "Mom, can Dad come in and read me a story?" Sure enough, I went in and read a story...

5 comments:

Christy and Brian said...

I love that commercial. It always makes me think that one day they won't ask me to do that anymore, so I better love the moment.

Suz (and sometimes Jeff) said...

Hey you're not supposed to make me cry when I read your blog. That sweet lady.

Emma and John said...

that is so nice! I really do think about that all the time. I've heard people say they miss the noise/mess in the house once the kids are grown and gone, so I try to enjoy it.

Melanie Rossi said...

hey, I heard y'all are pregnant! Yeah! You guys are quick! I love it. Congrats and good luck!

FOREVER 8 AND MORE... said...

I'm sure you can only imagine what Dad and I were doing as we read your blog.....as usual the flood gates were open!!!!