Sunday, January 06, 2008

Still Embracing Winter

Most of you who know us probably thought this winter embracing goal wouldn't work...well, here are 2 more activities. (I could stretch it into three if I need to at the end).

My uncle Kevin turned 50 (Well he does on the 8th) and my aunt Teri surprised him with a very fun weekend up here in Utah! One of the many events was a really fun dinner at a Norwegian Yurt at the Canyons Ski Resort (I know, it sounds fancy already). So without further ado...
Activity No. 2
a sleigh ride

we rode this huge snowcat sleigh up to the yurt. It was pretty steep at points (Jenny was afraid the chains were going to break even though I assured her the machine was built after the abesity epeidemic in America--please see our previous post on Disney Land for more information on Jenny's lack of trust in anything mechanical). I think the yurt was at 8,000 feet, so it was a snowy ride. The views were spectacular!


We thought this was a good picture of Suz and Jeff and the other one was a good picture of mom...

This was the way down...a bit different than the way up, but it was still really fun! While we were having dinner the wind started to blow really hard (hard enough a tree fell down right in front of the bathroom right before I had to pee!)
Activity No. 3
Cross Country Skiing

Part of the journey up was a short half mile trek on cross country skis or snow shoes. We chose the skis so it could count as a new activity :). It wasn't very long, but it was a fun part of the trip. We tried to do the tandem skiing (ski dating) but the clips were busted so we had to do it individually. We wished it was longer, but it was a blast. It was pitch dark, so we got to wear those cool on-your-head lights. ( that is the yurt in the background).

Jenny thinks we can count eating in the yurt as a separate acitivity...so if we run short at the end, keep this in mind.


we had a really fancy steak dinner in the yurt. all the courses were fancy and they were actually really good (even the goat cheese!). All the dishes were these thick pewter ones, and everything was presented fancy style. Jenny's steak was pretty rare (dad kept mooing at it), but they were delicious!! There was a program and everyone said really nice and funny things about Kevin. It was cool!

There was a fireplace inside so it made it burning hot! I ended up taking off my shoes I was so hot. Mom had to change out of her long sleeve sweater so dad provided a make-shift dressing room for her. It was pretty discreet until dad started dancing. (Do ya'll know what dance I'm talking about?)

6 comments:

Emma and John said...

that looked so fun- it's definitely something we'll have to try!

Aaron and Jessie said...

I really am insanely jealous of your night, so I was thinking My
25th birthday (a big life marker)is coming up and maybe ya'll should throw something like that for me. jokes! I'm surprised ya'll didn't blog about our incredible weekend with our crazy kids......or I guess just my crazy experiences with Maile falling in the tub 10 minutes before church started fully in church attire, Emmy nearly landing straight on her head in the middle of church, and leaving in a blizzard and almost sacrificing my life to save the binki from getting run over. It was a fun weekend, thanks for helping me get out of my depressed mode. Oh and David how the heck did you get your ski and leg up so high?

Aaron and Jessie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

That looks soooo fun! You guys are extremelly good at doing fun activities and you don't even like winter! I LOVE it. Well maybe I'll have to decide to hate it to make myself get out and do fun things. Love your blog background by the way!

Anonymous said...

I admire your positive attitude David.

Bertie said...

That picture caption about how you thought it was a "good picture of mom" and just didn't say anything about your dad- cracked me up!!! LOL!!