Thursday, January 31, 2008

Our night with Bronco

As many of you know, Jenny's brother, Justin, is going to play football for BYU next year. As part of him being a new recruit, Coach Bronco Mendenhall made a house visit to meet/talk with Justin in his house and to meet his family and we were there. Coach Tidwell also came along with him.

After our evening with those two coaches, I think I am a bigger BYU fan than ever and they are now some of the people I will add to my list of people I admire and look up to.

Both of them were extremely gracious and fun and interested in everyone. I don't recall a single awkward moment the entire night. They saw Josh's "Cougar Corner" in his room, and willingly went down to see Justin's "Grotto" (the clubhouse type thing he and his friends built--very impressive), ate Jessie's Key Lime Pie--surprising. (jokes! it was really good), we talked about BYU's football schedule, Bronco meeting his wife, his surfing camps, his family vacations, all of our love for Hawaii, the "do you know so-and-so game", seminary, how BYU has the colors they do, and all sorts of other topics. They just kind of hung out with the family for a couple of hours.

They talked about their vision for BYU and its players and then talked specifically with Justin about signing day next week when he will officially be signed on to play for BYU and get his scholarship.

At the end of the night, two things stuck with me. First, I felt I had to thank Bronco for all the hard work he is doing at BYU. He informed us that according to President Monson, BYU Football is the Number 3 missionary tool of the church. Second, these men are solid. They are very principle based and have no intentions on wavering from those principles. When I talked with him about it he told me, "Oh, winning is just an outward manifestation that living by principles works."
We had a fun night!

7 comments:

Suz (and sometimes Jeff) said...

Sounds like a fun night, but what about LOST????

Christy and Brian said...

That is really cool.

Emma and John said...

oh my gosh! I am really jealous. Congrats to Justin. P.S. Hannah put something up on her blog a few days ago that you should see! It is sick.

Shannon & Summer said...

what an awesome experience! I got chills reading about it and hearing how byu football is such a missionary tool. I think Bronco is such an amazing person and coach.

Hannah said...

Aww, I am SO jealous that you got to meet them! That's awesome.

Chris and Jen said...

-Chris
Finally everyone is starting to see why I'm such a fan of (really I'm borderline obsessed with) Bronco. Do me a favor- Remember this experience and when we're going to have our next boy, you can help me to convince Jenny to let me name him Bronco. Or you could steal the name for your child.

Chris and Jen said...

Oh, and if you haven't seen this video- it's worth watching. I first saw it at a priesthood leadership training where we were asked to think of what he says through the lens of the priesthood. Pretty powerful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1xzd9CoX8E