Monday, January 28, 2008

Congratulations on your graduation...

I miss him already. I know it is not news to anyone that President Hinckley passed away. I know I won't say anything that people have not already heard or felt. I know very few people will read this, so I am not writing it for any of those reasons. I think writing is one of my forms of release, and can be a good way for me to mourn. I am not a fan of mourning, and I think his passing is a great thing. I know the church is true and their is a divinely inspired way of the kingdom moving forward. I know I will love the next leader of our faith ( I already do.). I know I never met President Hinckley, but I feel like I have lost one of my friends. When President Hinckley came to Houston and spoke in the Astrodome, I had an experience there that I reflect on often (I have to...its my job). I should remember what he spoke on, but what I remember is his wave after the meeting had ended and he was leaving the field. I thought he was looking right at me. I waved, and he seemed to wave back. We were having this moment together--me and the prophet. I turned to my mom in excitement to see if she saw what was happening, only to see her waving too. My one-on-one with President Hinckley wasn't totally vanished until I turned around and saw thousands waving behind me. Although a little disappointed, this did not crush my childhood faith. I actually think back on it often, and at first usually laugh at how funny it will be to watch that scene again and see my face when we watch the big movie in the sky. But I also think about what a student of mine said so perfectly today:

"We believe that God is love. Well, I never met President Hinckley, but every time he spoke, I felt the love of God. I felt like he loved me and I loved him. That's one of the reasons I know he is a prophet."

My heart is torn between singing John Taylor's hymn after Joseph died, "O Bring Me Back my Prophet Dear," and rejoicing in the reunion he is having with his sweetheart and Joseph himself, no doubt.

So the stone rolls forward. I think in lieu of flowers I'll recommit to "being a little better." I think he'd like that.

We thank thee, O God, for our prophet.

6 comments:

Christy and Brian said...

Thank you for writing that. I have been feeling the same way. How can I mourn... and the thought has come to me so clear. Be a better me. (well I will try anyways)

Anonymous said...

This morning as I read President Hickley's lifetime list of accomplishments on the associated press, I was blown away by all he did for the church. He truly helped build a more approachable and global church, reaching all around the world. As our world becomes smaller and smaller with technology, I marvel at the Lord's infite wisdom in timing His delivery of President Gordon B. Hinckley. And to think, with you David, how he personally affected each person is astonishing.

Suz (and sometimes Jeff) said...

I have felt that way too. I have been thinking of him a lot since Sunday. I saw that picture of him at his wife's funeral and he was so sad, now I know he is so happy to be with her again.

Marc said...

Nicely said, David. Amen. He was great man, a wonderful example in so many ways.

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

Your a beautiful writer David. I loved reading this. Such a wonderful man.

FOREVER 8 AND MORE... said...

I loved you thoughts about President Hinckley. I especially loved the profound statement by your student. Thank you for sharing.