Saturday, February 09, 2008

and so it continues...

Today was a hopeful day for me. Spring is one day closer. The tundra on our driveway is beginning to melt which is very promising. (I know, it is Utah and Spring is not until June, but I am shooting for optimism). Our neighboor James came over last week and helped us get off weeks of ice on our driveway. He is a saint. Then it snowed the next day, which is why it is back. Nothing new is happening with us, so I thought I would just show some pictures we finally have put on our computer :).


I call this photo: "Death by Ice"

I swear these were bigger than the picture gives them credit for. Our gutters all froze over, so the snow and ice started spilling over (And into our bedroom). So I got up on the roof, like a handy husband would do, and shoveled it all off. As part of my ice capades afternoon, I pulled down one of those giant ice knives and all of them came crashing down. A near death experience. The good news is when they fell they pulled down all of our Christmas lights, which previous to this event were solidly frozen to the house with no hope of coming down until the thaw. The force of it ripped the light wire in half, but that won't bother me until I need to buy new ones next year.

I call this photo: "You can't really tell, but there are deer in our backyard"

They come down from the mountain and feast on the apples that never made it off the tree. They are the frozen, rotten bug filled apples we didn't care for, so I am glad something appreciates them. This will be my convincing argument to Jenny next year on why I don't need to pick the apples up off the lawn. I am getting the deer through the winter. I got pretty close to them until I started having thoughts of them charging me, so I went back inside. At least it wasn't the cougar our neighboors saw in their lawn. Yikes. Maybe on of our winter embracing activities could be a winter safari in our own backyard. Emma, wanna come?

Well, the last picture had an error--must be a sign because this is getting kind of long. good night.

8 comments:

Suz (and sometimes Jeff) said...

Wow that is quite the icicle! We have those right above our porch and then when they start to melt it makes our porch an ice skating rink. Oh the joy of winter.

josh and jacqs said...

Thats what i was thinking ice od death!!! I am so proud of you for being a handy husband, you must of picked that trait up from dad!

Christy and Brian said...

That is awesome! Ice by death. My kids love looking at all the icicles.

Julie said...

I spent three hours yesterday shoveling the snow and ice off of our drive way!!! I'm SICK to death of the cold and in serious need of some Vitamin D from Mr. Golden Sun! Spring's gotta be early this year!!!!!!!

FOREVER 8 AND MORE... said...

Your icicles are scarey!!!

Holly said...

we have lots of those "widow-makers" (as i like to call them) on our house as well. we also have lots of those deer. they must be stopping to graze here on their way to feast on your apples.

and did i read your post correctly? a cougar? yikes. i guess we better bring in all our raw meat.

Angie said...

wow. i took a look at those pictures and couldn't believe how much snow there is. it's really winter there, (duh). that's quite the icicle!

shannon said...

holy icicle...good title for it too!