Friday, February 29, 2008

my new way to watch American Idol


Holly made a comment on my last, "brief" American Idol post where she said she doesn't watch American Idol for three reasons: Ryan, Randy and Paula. I thought is appropriate to share with her and others my secret for enjoying American Idol: TIVO. We have never had TIVO, and I am not sure if we watch enough tv to make it worth it yet, but I currently love TIVO, especially when watching American Idol.
Here's why:
1. commercials...gone.
and 2nd. This is how a normal show goes-
Singer and Ryan have an awkward conversation on the red couch, commercial, singer intro, singer sings, judging (Randy: dog, dog, you know what man, you can bow, but dog that was just a'ight for me, I mean the middle was a little shakey and the whole thing was a little pitchy, not my favorite. Paula: You are a butterfly. You have discovered who you are and are being true to yourself. [some copy of a comment Simon made the episode before that doesn't apply]. When I hear you sing I feel like a golden puppy and you are my hero for being true to who you are. Simon: [something brief, true, and sometimes stinging, yet true statement with a clever analogy--I love it!]), singer gives Simon some lame sass, Ryan comes out to ask another awkward question and the singer shows their fingers that correspond with the number that comes on the screen-every time, commercial.
BUT WITH TIVO, this is how my show goes-
singer sings (sometimes I watch their intro), I usually hear Randy cause I like his laugh, fast forward through Paula (every time she opens her mouth), listen to Simon, laugh, fast forward through Ryan and the commercials, singer sings...
It is brilliant.
p.s. I am not on the Simon bandwagon where I like him because he is mean. I am not sure why America thinks that is funny...I like that he is the only one who offers true, constructive criticism. When he leans into attacking character, I am not a fan, but for the most part he is offering witty criticism, and it is so refreshing.

5 comments:

Bertie said...

HAHA! This post made me laugh! I agree TIVO rocks my world!

Emma and John said...

I love shows so much more when I can fast forward through commercials and boring stuff (like Paula). It only takes me an hour to watch a 2 hour long idol!

Suz (and sometimes Jeff) said...

That's exactly how we watch too. It's great! Paula is driving us crazy too.

Chris and Jen said...

We inherited Tivo when we moved and now I don't know if we can ever go back to life without it. Watching American Idol with Tivo is a must.

Shannon & Summer said...

Ditto. That is how I like to watch too. I love what Simon says - he is so right on with his comments.